At a huge event today, Marvel Studios introduced Phase III of its
quest for world domination franchise. Considering how tight-lipped Marvel usually stays until San Diego Comic Con, this seemed like a pretty big deal – and it was. They announced a ton of info, including seven (eight, really) new films, which lead us all the way into 2019. Here’s the rundown:
1. Captain America 3 (May 2016) will officially be called Captain America: Civil War. This means that the movie will follow, in some way, the famous comic arc and will co-star Robert Downey, Jr. as rumored. It will probably also make me cry.
2. Doctor Strange (November 2016) gets his own movie, but it’s not necessarily going to be Benedict Cumberbatch starring as the titular character. Kevin Feige confirmed that this is, uh, unconfirmed: “I can say that if it were confirmed, we would have introduced him today…”
3. Thor 3 (July 2017) will officially be called Thor: Ragnarok, a comic arc I personally hated, though it makes sense for where the universe is headed. Tom Hiddleston will return as Loki for this film and as anyone who’s read the comics knows, this means big changes for Thor.
4. Black Panther (November 2017) will be Marvel’s first minority-led feature film. Chadwick Boseman (Get On Up, 42) will star as T’Challa himself. YOU GUYS THIS IS AWESOME NEWS. BLACK PANTHER, OKAY?
5. Captain Marvel (July 2018) will be Marvel’s first female-led feature film, which is pretty amazing (even though I’ve been dying for a Black Widow film, but FIIIIIINE, it’s really okay, Captain Marvel RULES). Not sure who will play Carol Danvers, but the Internet’s been clamoring pretty hard for Katee Sackhoff.
6. Inhumans (November 2018) is basically a new universe – a race of superhumans who live on the moon. Trust me, it’s cooler than it sounds. The Inhumans are connected to many pieces of the Marvel universe we’ve already seen, including Quicksilver and Thanos. Oh, and there’s that whole Infinity Stone business. Which brings me to…
7. Avengers 3 (May 2018, May 2019) will be split into two films and I will almost be 40 years old by the time this whole thing is done, oh my God. The two-parter is called Infinity War and will include a new line-up of Avengers. This is likely to include some of the newly-announced characters listed above, as well as characters like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, who we’ll meet in Age Of Ultron.
OKAY, EVERYONE FREAK OUT NOW.
We good? Alright.
Now, let’s talk questions, because I have some. Spoilers for the comic books ahead, so only read on if you’re familiar or don’t mind the major plot giveaways:
- How are they making a Civil War movie when the entire conflict of the Civil War is based on superheros having secret identities? In the Marvel Cinematic Universe, everyone is out of the hero closet. Feige sort-of answered this today, but I’m still like, huh? What’s the plot, then?
- Spider-Man plays a pivotal role in Civil War, but Marvel doesn’t own the rights to his character. Who will take his place as Iron Man’s right-hand man?
- If Captain America dies as he does in the comics, will Chris Evans retire his role? And does that mean Sebastian Stan will take over, just as Bucky Barnes does in the comic series? (PLEASE SAY YES, MARVEL)
- Will Kamala Khan have a role in the Captain Marvel film?
- In the Inhumans movie, will Black Bolt really have no lines?
- Can we PLEASE get someone other than Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange? Please? Pretty, pretty please? I like him, but no.
- Everything about Thor: Ragnarok makes me go ????????? so I’ll just leave it at that.
- Black Panther!!! (Okay, not a question, I’m just excited)