In a recent interview, Ryan Murphy dropped the huge bomb that every season of American Horror Story is connected. I’m still freaking out over that news, and I’m sure you are, too – but he also dropped a second, albeit smaller bomb in the same article. Apparently, last week’s episode of American Horror Story: Freak Show had a major season five clue. Wait, what? Spoilers ahead, but you already knew that.
It’s like this: after Maggie (Emma Roberts) escapes from Dandy and Twisty the Clown in the woods, she and the rest of the victims call the police. As the aftermath of their terrifying night unfolds, an officer hands her a cup of coffee – and as he passes it over, the camera zooms in on a picture of a top hat on the cup. Did that mean anything? Well yes, it did! Ryan Murphy confirmed: “That is a big season five clue! It’s an arcane clue, but it’s very purposeful, and it illuminates something that you’ll be like, ‘Oh! You dirty b******!'”
So…top hats. What could it be? Well, what do you think of when you think of top hats?
- Abraham Lincoln – a Civil War season? That was certainly an American horror story in its truest sense.
- Marlene Dietrich – but they sure reference her a lot on Freak Show already, so I don’t see how this could be a season 5 clue.
- Fred Astaire – um, probably not, unless Ryan Murphy just really hates tap dancers. Then again, maybe it’s some obscure reference to the movie?
- The Penguin from Batman – lord, let’s hope not.
- Magicians – this is the reference I think makes the most sense. Season 5 could have a Harry Houdini-esque illusionist theme to it, which presents all kind of horrible scenarios about drowning, being buried alive, Chinese water torture, getting trapped in small places, etc. Plus, right before she escapes, Maggie is about to be sawed in half by Dandy – a legendary magician’s trick. Then again, this reference doesn’t seem to be very “arcane,” as Murphy put it. It feels downright obvious.
What do you think? Is there anything else the top hat could mean? Let me know your own theories in the comments!